Thursday, June 11, 2009

Paxistima myrsinites



The Paxistima myrsinites, called Mountain Lover, is located in many areas in many states. There is a large population in the shade of Gambel Oak along the upper Cal Valley road. It is about 25 minutes from my nursery. I went back there after the Penstemon Festival to collect some seed from a very short Pussy Toes. While there I checked the Mountain Lover for seed. I have seen it flower numerous times, but never saw any seed. It was was really shady and all I could see were the flowers. I cut several stems to bring home where there was more light. To my surprise the were a number of seed pods in different stages of development. The mature seed pods were oval in shape and 1/4 inch long and about 1/8 inch wide. The bottom photo shows one seed pod that is turning brown. It is about half way up on the left side of the right stem.
The Mountain lover is evergreen an looks great in the shade.

No comments: